Reflection in/on Iram of The Pillars





Reflecting in a work of illustration is the most important step to improve artistic skills. Each time I look back at my art , I would find colors , lines or fonts that need to be changed. So, finishing a piece of art can not be done within one or two days. It needs patience and determination .

Here is an example of :

  • The illustration of Iram of the pillars. (The Lost City of the Sands)
It took me two weeks to finish this illustration.





Step 1:
A rough sketch of how I imagined the city to look like.



















Step 2:

Adding basic colors (Brown , purple and yellow); a mix between warm and cool colors. As well as applying some shades and the source of light.







Step 3:

Emphasizing the shades on both the buildings and the background by adding darker brown . Next , highlighting the source of light "sphere" as well as other sources such as the windows in the buildings and the lights in the front.






                                                                             


Step 4: 

The circles in this illustration indicate the details that have been added to the buildings , drawing new characters and making the sphere brighter. Later on I've added a layer with orange color and used the "Multiply" effect to spread the warm color in the whole illustration. I wasn't pleased with any cool colors in the drawing so I replaced them with brownish color. 



Step 5:After leaving the illustration for two days , I noticed that some elements have to be changed such as:1) Circle no.1 shows the step where I've moved the pyramids up to add more space between them and the lands. Previously the pyramids were too close to the buildings which almost took all the space in the illustration .Circle no.2  shows the elimination of the door so that I could add and show more buildings in the city. Circle no. 3 is a change of the environment At first , I've drawn normal buildings, but I wanted to make something more dramatic to the city. So, the moving sands idea popped into my head and I drew them dragging ruined buildings down.


Later on a friend of mine suggested to make the  brown color on the floor lighter and make the shadows longer. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zarqa Al Yamama

Isle of WakWak

Illustrating for a vedio game.